When I was in college, living in the dorms, I used IM all the time. You there? Busy? Dining Hall? These are a few examples of what chatting consisted of in college. It was just easier and much quicker to IM than to pick up the phone because I wasn’t looking to have a conversation. Once I moved from the dorms, I found myself using IM less and less. Today, I rarely ever chat online. Facebook has an instant messenger feature which I quickly learned how to disable. If I am on Facebook looking at something or checking updates, I don’t want to bothered with someone trying to strike up a conversation just because they see that I’m online. I find IM to be very distracting and needless to say, time consuming. If I want to have a conversation with someone, I’ll do it on my time, not when a dialog box pops up on my computer screen. Call me old fashion but I’d rather pick up the phone to have a conversation with someone, it’s much quicker and more enjoyable.
As for LRC Live coverage…I’ve never done it. I looked at TCC’s LRC Live Chat Widget and I think it is a great idea! We have a large icon on our webpage advertising LRC Live, however, anytime I mention the service to a student, they say “Wow, that’s great! I never knew this was available!” or something to that effect. If we had something similar to TCC or just something on our webpage that resembled a chat session, I think it would be used more often. The way our site is setup now, LRC Live is often overlooked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment